Friday, March 23, 2012

Trach Update

I called Eli's ENT doctor in Houston and talked to him about the trach that the sleep medicine doctor wants put in. He is going to talk to the rest of Eli's medical team and see what their thoughts are on it. He thinks there might be something else we can do before we go to a trach. I really hope there is something else that will help. A trach just seems so drastic at this point. I have had a chance to research and talk to other parents and I'm not as freaked out about it as I was. In fact I told his ENT that if this is what is needed I would rather him do it now when he is already going to be having surgery then wait and have to schedule another surgery in a few months. His ENT agreed and went over what would happen if he put the trach in. He said he would have Eli in the ICU after surgery for a week and then I would have to go through training which typically takes 2 weeks. He said he would call me back next week with the final answer on if he will be getting the trach or not. I just want what is best for Eli and even though it scares the hell out of me a trach may just be it.

No comments:

Post a Comment