Monday, April 23, 2012

Note To Self

We have been in the PICU for 6 days now and these are some of the things I have learned. Someone else is always going through more then you are. Since being here I have seen several families loose their children. I've seen them in the waiting room trying to decide do we pull the plug or do we wait it out. I've spoken to them and prayed for them. I've seen their sadness and confusion. I've learned the dreaded sound of the alarm going down the hall to take a child to surgery so they can take their organs and donate them to another child sitting in another ICU somewhere. I've seen the families gather in a large group in the waiting room and enter the ICU 2 by 2 until they have all said their goodbyes. I've seen siblings playing in the waiting room, but having a look of knowing that something isn't quit right. It's really been an eye opening experience for me. I know Eli has a rough road and has had to go through so much for such a little guy. But I also know that there are families going through so much more. People say I am strong and I am a great mother, but I'm just doing what most moms would do and that is stand by their child no matter what. If anyone reads this say a prayer for the families who have lost a child today. Pray they find peace and understanding. Pray they stay strong in their faith and lean on their friends and family.

No comments:

Post a Comment